Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Gifts 2012

Here are photos of a few garments I made to give as gifts this Christmas:
Cotton toile vintage apron
My sister loves all things french and vintage.  I found lightweight cotton toile at fabric.com.  The apron is lined with white cotton broadcloth and the waistband is navy cotton broadcloth.  The pattern is B50-5490 from evadress.com
Apron back view
 The apron is a little above the knee in front and just covers the hips in back.
Stretch cotton sateen biker jacket
This is a biker jacket for my niece in Arizona. A biker jacket has become a wardrobe classic.   The pattern is a modified discontinued Burda pattern.  I would like to offer a good biker jacket pattern on my blog in 2013 with instructions since it is such a popular garment.
My niece loves green anything!
My other Arizona niece needs a biker jacket as well.  Her green jacket includes yokes on the upper sleeves and satin trim above the cuffs.  The jackets are fully interfaced to help them maintain a firmer shape.  If I hadn't interfaced the jackets, they would be fine, just more casual and wrinkled during wear.  I have a third niece who is waiting for a black/gray biker jacket.
An embellished rayon/lycra tee for Grandma
My mother needs comfortable knit tops to play bridge in, and this metallic stretch rayon tee will be fine for her. I interfaced a 4" wide band of fabric, stitched it into a tube, and applied the band down center front (also interfaced with a 1/2" strip on inside) with three twists.  I machine stitched horizontal rows to hold the twists in place.


Lastly, a toddler dress for my neighbor. 

Toddler dress front view
 The dress and belt are cotton broadcloth.  The skirt features an embroidered lace overlay and ruffled slip beneath.  I placed 1/4" horsehair braid in the pink broadcloth hem for a little extra lift.   

Toddler dress back view
Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

1 comment:

  1. I love the biker jackets, suprisingly there aren't better patterns for these. BWOF has had a couple that were interesting, but I didn't think very flattering.
    I love mom's Tshirt, I will have to try that sometime. Its such a modern looking detail that sounds so simple.

    ReplyDelete