Friday, December 14, 2012

Detachable Faux Fur Collar

Here is the coat we discussed in the 12/6/12 post.  I liked this coat before but with the addition of a fur collar, I really love this coat!
How to make the detachable faux fur collar:

1.  Drape the Bodice Front panel on the coat and determine a collar shape.

2. Cut the collar out through the backing only leaving fur fibers intact.  Remove fur from 1/2" seam allowances.



 3.  Stitch 1/8" elastic loops in place.
 4. Cut out lining and interface.  I used a scrap of brown silk charmeuse with fusi-knit interfacing.  Machine stitch neck and lower edges right sides together. 


5.  Catch stitch all fur raw edges to collar to prevent collar rolling out of shape during wear.




6.  Pin outer edges of lining in place and slip stitch to fur collar.  The outer edge could be machined but I find that the collar will lay nicer if I take the time to lay it in place perfectly.
 7.  Sew buttons to inside neck edges of coat.  I have five button/loop sets:  center back and two each side.


I hand tacked the loops so they cannot fall off the buttons because I plan to remove the collar only at the end of the season to dry clean the coat.

1 comment:

  1. Hello,

    I know this post is from 2012 but I want to make the detachable fur collar for my winter coat. I know that the shape and size of the collar depends on the coat, but how much fur fabric did you use on the one here?

    Thanks!

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete