Thursday, July 5, 2012

Fall 2012 Embellishment Trends

Louis Vuitton Fall 2012 wool coat, dress and silk pants
I found this photo in the July issue of Vogue Magazine.  Louis Vuitton's Fall 2012 collection is full of sparkling beads and jeweled buttons.  The coat is what catches my eye; it is absolutely gorgeous and I am inspired to make something similar though in a different color palette. Hand beading appears frequently in couture collections for fall and I think the effort is worthwhile on an investment piece such as a coat.   This photo includes a coat, dress and pants.  I saw Karl Lagerfeld dress models in jackets, dresses and pants, all in one outfit in his 2012 Chanel collections and I don't care for the look at all.  A person of average height will look frumpy in so many layers. 

The side seam of the pants is also noteworthy.  The side seam is a vent rather than a closed seam, and there is a large bound buttonhole with jeweled button. 

Bound buttonhole detail



















The bound buttonhole is a gorgeous detail and I could see that on a skirt or coat as well.  The welts appear large, each is perhaps 1/2" x 4".  Large welts are much easier to sew than traditional thin welts, so beginners should definitely try this.

Check back with me in the fall; my version of the coat and pants are likely to appear.


If you love embellishment, this dress, also from July 2012 Vogue, features lace and needlepoint detail. 
Dolce & Gabbana lace dress
If you are looking for a great summer project and you love vintage floral, create something inspired by this dress.  The ceramic earrings and necklace are perfect accessories.  From time to time I make jewelry with supplies from firemountaingems.com and it is likely they have suitable materials to create a similar look. 

If you love the vintage floral look but don't have time this summer, perhaps in the fall you can create an inspired garment with maroon velvet and black lace.  Referring back to the bound buttonhole above, I'd love to see the buttonhole welts covered with lace.  Enjoy these embellishment ideas.




No comments:

Post a Comment