Saturday, December 13, 2014

Knits Collars and Cuffs/Marsala: the 2015 Color of the Year

The Pantone website has been abuzz with discussion of the 2015 color of the year, Marsala.  What a stroke of luck that my stash contained a sweater knit, purchased two winters ago, in Marsala!  Wine, burgundy and maroon are my favorite colors for decorating.  In addition, they are flattering on many skin tones.  If you are interested in learning more about the color trend, visit the Pantone website at https://www.pantone.com/pages/index.aspx?pg=21163&from=hp

Here is my new wool sweater coat:
Burda Style 111 from the 3/2014 issue
The pockets hold a firm shape because I applied fusi-knit to them.  Pockets that collapse can be attractive in a sweater knit, but I prefer this look.
Many people do not like loose garments, so the coat can be belted to define the waist.  The faux fur hat is from the 12/5/14 post 'A New Fur Hat.'
The collar and cuffs are a heavyweight knit purchased from Wawak at http://www.wawak.com/products/search.cfm?KEYS=KNt-10&x=0&y=0.  The quality of the knit is wonderful, and the price is reasonable. 
For the collar, I actually took the heavy-duty waistband (item KNT-12, $4.85) and cut a 4.5" x 18" collar.  The edges of the collar are unfinished. 

Below is a comparison of the heavy-duty knit cuffs (on the left, $2.95 per pair) and the regular knit cuffs (on the right, $1.75 per pair).  Both are excellent quality and would have worked in my sweater coat.
The cuffs, collars and waistbands are packaged so neatly.
Color choice is beige, black, brown, navy or white.  I definitely recommend these products for use on knit garments.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful coat. I love what you did with the collar and cuffs - very nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,

    i need knits and waistband and collar, like you use, 100% woolen. Can you give me a hint, where can i get it?
    Thanks:
    Nik

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would try these websites:
    1. The Rain Shed
    2. Seattle Fabrics
    3. Mood Fabrics NYC
    4. Fabric.com
    5. Sew True
    6. Vogue Fabrics
    7. Wawak.com
    If those sites have nothing, I would either knit/crochet the collar and cuffs or hire a friend to knit/crochet them. There are many yarn shops with classes and you are likely to find a resource there as well. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete